The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- Ryan Brady and Sarah Brewer: “Prehistoric and Historical Archaeology in the City of Santa Cruz: Implications for Past Occupation and Land Use – When and Why?” December 13, 2018
Dudek recently completed a cultural resources sensitivity study for the City of Santa Cruz. In addition to compiling information for all archaeological reports and recorded sites within the City limits, we developed a sensitivity model for predicting the locations of past activities. The sensitivity model considered variables such as distance to water, slope, and soil type and provided some surprising results when compared with the existing record. This study has implications for understanding prehistoric and historic land use in the Santa Cruz area and can also be used to interpret or predict more regional trends along California’s Central Coast.
General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- October 11 – Juliana Quist, Archeo-Tec
- November 8 – John Foster, California State Parks (Retired)
- December 13 – Ryan Brady, Dudek
- January 10, 2019 – Jason Field, Sonoma State University
- February 14, 2019 – Katie Vallaire, Project Manager, LSA
- March 14, 2019 – Tom King, Retired, U.S. Government, Consultant
- April 11, 2019 – Adrian Praetzellis, Retired, Sonoma State University, Anthropological Studies Center
- May 9, 2019 – Desiree Vigil, Native American Monitor, Ohlone Tribe
- June 13, 2019 – Breck Parkman, Retired, California State Parks
A list of past speakers can be found here.