The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- Mark Hylkema: “Perils of a Leeward Shore: Franklin Point Historic Shipwreck Cemetery, Año Nuevo State Park” December 14, 2017
Three consecutive shipwrecks occurring along the rocky coast of Año Nuevo State Park between 1865 and 1867 resulted in the loss of many passengers and sailors as their sailing ships miscalculated their positions and “struck the rocks.” Many of the victims were buried in a small area of sand dunes at Franklin Point that has since been designated as archaeological site SMA-307/H. In response to these maritime tragedies, Pigeon Point Lighthouse was built in 1871. This presentation focuses on the histories of the wrecks, the archaeological investigations and findings from the analytical studies, and the methods used to stabilize the cemetery.
2017–2018 General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- 11/9/17 – Jesse Phillips, B.A, University of Guam, InContext
- 12/14/17 – Mark Hylkema, M.A., RPA, San Jose State University, California State Parks, Santa Cruz County
- 1/11/18 – John Pryor, Ph.D., State University of New York at Binghamton, California State University, Fresno
- 2/8/18 – Margie Purser, Ph.D., UC Berkeley, Sonoma State University
- (No speaker in March due to SCA Annual Meeting)
- 4/12/18 – Sarah Peelo, UC Santa Cruz, Albion Environmental
- 5/10/18 – Lee Panich, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University
- 6/14/18 – George Ann DeAntoni, UCSC Graduate Student
A list of past speakers can be found here.