The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- Sarah Peelo: “Public Uses of Household Spaces: Archaeological Data Recovery of Room 102 Rancho San Andres Castro Adobe” April 12, 2018
California State Parks, in collaboration with Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks, is currently restoring the Rancho San Andrés Castro Adobe, Watsonville, California. Because preservation in place was not feasible as mitigation for the impacts to this significant historical resource, Albion Environmental, Inc. designed and executed a plan for data recovery. These recent excavations suggest that the Castro Adobe represents Mexican Period rancho architecture, with cobble foundations, adobe walls, and a prepared adobe floor. In particular, the assemblage included artifacts likely related to indigenous practices, providing a lens into understanding the often undocumented experiences of indigenous rancho laborers. This research highlights that the Castro Adobe was used by the diverse community living and working at Rancho San Andrés, illustrating the very public nature of adobe structures during the Mexican Rancho Period.
General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- April 12 – Sarah Peelo, UC Santa Cruz, Albion Environmental
- May 10 – Lee Panich, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University
- June 14 – GeorgeAnn DeAntoni, UCSC Graduate Student
- September 13 – Beth Mabie, Osteologist, Archeo-Tec
- October 11 – Juliana Quist, Archeo-Tec
- November 8 – John Foster, California State Parks (Retired)
- December 13 – Ryan Brady, Dudek
- January 10, 2019 – Jason Field, Sonoma State University
- February 14, 2019 – TBA
- March 14, 2019 – Adrian Praetzellis
A list of past speakers can be found here.