The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- October is California Archaeology Month October 1, 2018
- SCAS’s 2nd Annual Film Fest: “Cache from the Island of the Blue Dolphins” and “The Impact of the Frolic” October 18, 2018
- John Foster: “Archaeology Underwater: Exploration and Conservation Beyond the Shores of Time” November 8, 2018
Foster will present a broad overview of underwater archaeology in California and beyond. Using such examples as Manila galleons, Spanish frigates, Steel-hulled passenger steamers, and WWII tankers, he will describe how archaeology is done in the underwater environment and why it's important to understand and conserve maritime cultural resources. Underwater sites can produce amazing preservation conditions and important heritage information. It's been said that the aqueous environment contains the greatest repository of human cultural heritage on earth. New technological advances are making these sites accessible, so what will be the future of the underwater past?
General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- October 11 – Juliana Quist, Archeo-Tec
- November 8 – John Foster, California State Parks (Retired)
- December 13 – Ryan Brady, Dudek
- January 10, 2019 – Jason Field, Sonoma State University
- February 14, 2019 – Katie Vallaire, Project Manager, LSA
- March 14, 2019 – Tom King, Retired, U.S. Government, Consultant
- April 11, 2019 – Adrian Praetzellis, Retired, Sonoma State University, Anthropological Studies Center
- May 9, 2019 – Desiree Vigil, Native American Monitor, Ohlone Tribe
- June 13, 2019 – Breck Parkman, Retired, California State Parks
A list of past speakers can be found here.