The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- Georgie DeAntoni: “Post-Contact Paleoethnobotany in California: Studying Indigenous Landscape Management Practices Along the Central Coast” June 14, 2018
Within California archaeology, paleoethnobotany—the study of plant remains—has most commonly been applied to pre-colonial contexts. However, much can be learned by using paleoethnobotany to study the post-contact period, particularly in examining questions of landscape change and Indigenous resilience.
General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- May 10 – Lee Panich, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University
- June 14 – GeorgeAnn DeAntoni, UCSC Graduate Student
- September 13 – Beth Mabie, Osteologist, Archeo-Tec
- October 11 – Juliana Quist, Archeo-Tec
- November 8 – John Foster, California State Parks (Retired)
- December 13 – Ryan Brady, Dudek
- January 10, 2019 – Jason Field, Sonoma State University
- February 14, 2019 – Katie Vallaire, LSA
- March 14, 2019 – Adrian Praetzellis, Sonoma State University (Retired)
A list of past speakers can be found here.