The SCAS General Meetings featuring guest speakers take place on the second Thursday of the month, at the Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange Hall at 1900 17th Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 (click here for Google Maps directions). This building is on 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Mattison Lane.
- Beth Mabie: “Place of the Spirit Woman Spring Site” September 13, 2018
Santa Teresa Springs in South San Jose was once the convergence of oak woodlands and marsh as well as home to Ohlone Thámien-speaking tribal groups. Construction activities in the early 1970s uncovered skeletal remains and artifacts that were recovered by West Valley College, San Jose State University, and local high school volunteers. The collection (CA-SCL-125) sat for decades before being dusted off and analyzed. Come and learn about ’Arma ’Ayttakiš Rúmmey-tak ("Place of the Spirit Woman Spring Site").
General Meeting Speaker Schedule
- September 13 – Beth Mabie, Osteologist, Archeo-Tec
- October 11 – Juliana Quist, Archeo-Tec
- November 8 – John Foster, California State Parks (Retired)
- December 13 – Ryan Brady, Dudek
- January 10, 2019 – Jason Field, Sonoma State University
- February 14, 2019 – Katie Vallaire, LSA
- March 14, 2019 – Adrian Praetzellis, Sonoma State University (Retired)
A list of past speakers can be found here.